St. Brides a hidden treasure

St. Brides a hidden treasure

10/10/2016

 

Tucked away behind busy Fleet Street is the beating heart of the old printing trade. It was here that the wonderfully named Wynkyn de Worde, apprentice to William Caxton set up the first printing press in the area - strategically placed between his biggest clients - the Law Courts on one side and St Pauls Cathedral on the other. Before long the publishers and newspaper industries moved in and the area became synonymous with the printed word. In the centre of it all stands The St Bride Foundation, founded by Queen Victoria in 1891 to support those working in the printing trade. It still stands there today - a hidden treasure with a fascintating archive, print libary and a workshop teaching traditional printing techniques. Truly worth a visit.

 

By: Emma

12 of 20